The Golf Performance Center opened in 2007 and has had alot of positive feedback.
The Golf Performance Center has created a facility to allow all levels of golfer access to Professional Instruction, state of the art golf club fitting with top brand manufacturers and a premiere practice facility.
The patrons who have utilized the GPC have provided us with some incredible feed back which I am pleased to share with you.
First of all I just wanted to thank Ben for a most enjoyable and educating afternoon. Its is very evident that he is very knowledge about about all aspects of golf club fitting. He took his time and explained all the variable’s with the numerous manufacturer’s clubs and shafts. For some one who enjoys the “scientific” approach to golf i could have tried out all the 100’s of different configurations but tired well before that. Once again thank you Ben, I know that with your input and suggestions my game is sure to improve, which is what we all strive for.I would also thank you for the first class facilities and equipment provided for the fitting. I spoke very highly of my experience at the performance center and a friend of mine booked for the next available time slot. I would recommend to anyone who is interested in improving their game to take advantage of the performance center and the fine staff that I had the pleasure of working with
RS May 1, 2017
I hope Florida has been good for you again this year. I want to Thank You again for your help, as progress was made this year.
2015 95 rounds 4 rounds 83 or better. none in the 70’s.
2016 84 rounds 17 rounds 83 or better. 4 rounds in the 70’s.
I started the year at a 16 handicap, and got down to a 12 handicap, holding it there for a month, before finishing the year at 14.
At this time, I wish you and your family a very “Merry Christmas” and all the best in the New Year and I will see you in the spring.
- Three years ago when I joined Whistle Bear I was a max handicap golfer (easily 35-40) I felt I needed to get better to help myself around this golf course. Mike Skimson at the golf performance center was recommended to me. From my first lesson to this day Mike has worked with me and been patient to help develop my swing. I remember seeing results right away, I can honestly say I have taken something from every lesson. After a lot of practice and hard work I’m now a 8 handicap and looking to go lower this year One of the biggest rewards is how Mike has reacted to my improvement,He’s truly invested in his students and loves what he does. This year both my parents are also taking lessons and seeing amazing results, I recommend Whistle Bears performance center to anyone looking to improve their golf game in anyway. Thank you Mike and everyone at the Performance Center
- Dave, just wanted drop you a note to let you know what a great experience the week at Old Corkscrew Golf Course was. All my expectations were exceeded in every way. The on range lessons were over the top, from the tips on putting, green reading, reading Bermuda greens, to bunker shots to irons to driver all will help my game immensely. The video feedback in addition to your unique style in finding a method or terminology that makes sense to your student makes it easy to understand why you were Teaching Pro of the year in Canada. In addition to the golf lessons the on course lessons were invaluable as well. As an added benefit was the extra effort you and your charming, lovely, intelligent wife, Sharon, went to make the overall experience well worth the price. I would suggest it to any golfer wanting to improve their game and have a great holiday at the same time, Thanks, Dan Walker
- I have been struggling with the same issues for so long. This lesson finally hit home. It is really nice to finally see some straight shots. I got so frustrated with my irons for the longest time, no matter how hard I tried to avoid the hook I couldn’t get anything to work. This new focus is really working for me.
- Hi Davie..just thought i would email you and say thank you for the lessons. I got a hole in one at springfield 100 yards in the hole. One thing off my bucket list. I just need to work on the short game. Thanks Suzanne
- First thing, – Thank You!!
in between Cam chattering to Sandra about the great day he had at Old Corkscrew, I was trying to explain to her how you had:
(A) really made sure he was comfortable and felt part of the team;
(B) spent one on one time w him working on his swing;
(C) hosted us so we had the guest rate to play.
Thank you again – and more babbling comments:
Sorry we weren’t able to stick around to talk w you after the round – it had taken longer than we thought and we were late for supper here on Longboat;
Yes, C has the videos thanks, he’s had a look on his i-phone and will be able to have a better look at home – he said he sent u a reply;
Speaking of the videos and swing changes – I simply cannot believe how much better Cam’s hitting the ball ! – seriously, by the back 9 and then when we were playing at Sarasota National yesterday – he’s probably 50 yds further off the tee?! He is so pleased. The difference is dramatic. (The people we were paired up w both days were commenting on his swing)
– And – a Hole in One!! – that’s so exciting ! Congrats to Dylan. He’ll remember that forever.
Well – see u back in the cold north – I hear its (-)16 today in waterloo !!
- Thanks for the help – I’ve found it to be game-altering, despite the fact that I’ve only had 3 short sessions with you. I’ll hold on to what you’ve given me, and will continue to incorporate the lessons in structured practice and groove an improved swing through thousands of reps.
- Hey Dave, Just wanted to thank you again for meeting with Daryl, Carly and I this week. We highly value your insight, and came away feeling better informed and most certainly had peace of mind. Now realizing that being a part of a developing college golf team will have its bumps in the road, we can better deal with any issues in the future. Your perspective opened our eyes, helping to remember the most important thing…..Carly is the one in control of her golf future. Dealing with all of the changes…moving to the states….living on her own….adjusting to new team mates, and once again focusing on studies gives her more than enough to deal with. She has made us extremely proud, having taken this step in her career, and doing so well with it. Daryl and I have never been more aware of what her association with the WB golf team has done to prepare her for where she is right now. There is no doubt that the best decision we made was bringing her under your guidance several years ago. You renewed her love for the sport, giving her a level of coaching that went above and beyond our expectations. We appreciate your “straight to the point” approach, your expertise in both player development and the administration of the golf program. It is absolutely no surprise to us that you are constantly turning out top notch golfers. Watching Carly and Brett at their first practice in New Mexico proved this. They were in a league of their own….showing consistent, well manicured swings, having a discipline and focus evident to anyone watching them. You should be extemely proud of what you have built. Your efforts, your passion for what you do, and your desire to constantly improve everything in your organization is beyond reproach. We are also grateful that you brought Carrie on to coach the girls. Her technical ability coupled with her genuine fun and caring nature was always evident and so appreciated. She was an integral part of Carly’s confidence building and the development of her game -once again showing you have the ability to see exactly what and who is needed to take your program to the next level. We feel you have only scratched the surface with the organization you have built. Just know that we are grateful that Carly was able to be a part of it, and will continue to be with your upcoming college program. Dave, you are truly special….always there….and always caring!!! Thanks for everything, Cheryl and Daryl
- Thank you again for yesterday’s lesson. It already paid off today playing Dundee. One of my best rounds there this year and with the exception of 3 holes could have played in the high 70’s. Only a few balls were to the left.
Having said that please don’t charge me more next time. Anyway thanks and see you next year in May.
Do you also do Group Lessons? A friend of mine may be also interested in a 3 lesson special.
Thanks again, have a good time in Florida and see you next year.
- Just a quick update. My handicap went from 13 to 8 this summer. More importantly, the number of quality shots I hit during my rounds was way up. Thanks for your all your help. Enjoy your winter. Jeff
- “Thank you” both for the excellent instruction you provide to during the Short Game Clinics and my private lessons with you Mike. Even though I have not played any golf this season every minute I have spent with either of you has been very benenificial to improving my game when I do make time to putinto practice what you have taught me. You are both a real asset to Whistle Bear and the Performance Centre. Have a great day! Regards, Richard
- Yesterday I shot nan 88 at Foxwood! It’s the first time I’ve broken 90 on a regular length course. The lesson I took from you in the winter has made a big difference to how well I play the game. Thanks for that! Robert Laurie
- Reading Greens and Percentage Putting of the best lessons ever. The high side stuff in particular made so much sense. You probably already know this but it occurs to me that geometrically balls hit with the dame force must finish closer if started to the high side as one is approaching the hole and the other is moving away from it.
- I played yesterday in a charity tournament at Pine Knot in Dorchester. My putting was awesome! Concentrating on what you taught us on Monday was a huge help. I sunk at least 3 six foot putts (very rare for me to sink in the past), made a few very good long putts and only missed one 3 ft putt. I am confident to saw that my putting was the best ever! Thanks so much for your help. Ron
- I just want you to know what a great instructor I think you are. I imagine everyone thinks the same as I do. You make me believe in myself and help me realize my potential. Wesley is in awe of the video’s of my swing. I know you capture the best of what I can do, but I am capable of that and more. Thanks so much for your patience. Brian Hawthornthwaite
- Hi Pro Today I double bogeyed 17 and bogeyed 18 for 77, my best round in 2 years. I have been hitting a lot of quality shots the past few weeks. It is just a matter of posting good numbers now.Thanks again for your help, I learned a lot. I’ll keep you posted if I shoot a lower round. TJ CarperinoDave, I played Deer Ridge today.Birdied 1 and 18. Par’d 2, 5, 7, 10, 11, 14 and 16. Hit some of the best shots I’ve ever hit. Although I say that so often now that it’s starting to feel normal to go out and put a lot of great swings down in a roundDev (Dave) Kudsia, A few week ago I had a fitting with Greg for a driver, a 3 wood and a hybrid. I came to him with a set of specific characteristics that I wanted to have each club deliver.At the time of the fitting I had a couple of doubts about the loft of the 3 wood and the hybrid that Greg thought was best. I went ahead and ordered what Greg suggested. The clubs came in this past Saturday and over the last 3 or 4 days I have had a chance to work with the clubs.I could not be happier how things turned out. Greg absolutely nailed the specs on all three clubs and the characteristics that I need in each club are now in my bag.Brian LeeMy swing had several flaws ingrained from years of bad practice habits.After working with you I can now comfortably say that I ‘understand’ the swing mechanics better than ever and am more on plane than I have ever been!Your teachings have been very rewarding and have taught me more than I could have ever learned from golf magazines or golf instruction books! My recent one week golf instruction program at your Old Corkscrew Golf School has further cemented my belief that I am on the right path.I choose to applaud the professional manner in which you handled our threesome and look forward to revisiting next year.The video analysis clearly demonstrates the areas of my swing that need improvement and your ability to communicate the same story using different English makes the student / teacher relationship all the better. I look forward to working with you again this summer at the GPC @ Whistle Bear. Your assistance has been invaluable to my golf improvement! I will highly recommend both schools whenever I have a chance. Thanks again…..talk soon. Al Parent
- Guys – just want to let you know that I’ve ordered the equipment today through Golftown Ancaster – I have a pile of Gift Certificates collected over the years and this is a great opportunity to spend them on Greg’s recommendations – exciting times ahead.
Thanks again – if you’re ever in Burlington and are looking for a place to eat and a pint – e-mail me and I will set you up at one of our locations – The Judge & Jury. QB’s. The Boston Manor. On me. All the best.
- Dave thanks for the lesson – it has really helped – shot 73 today at grey silo and tied at the mid am ontario qualifier at paris (unfortunatley retrogression got me) but chipping is much better – I will probably be back in over the next month or so ….
- Thank you for the past week. Although we are all sore, we do have more
confidence in our golf game. The head start you gave Cody in the game
will be valuable this summer for him. The extras that you do to make
our experience 5 star is noticeable and appreciated.
- Gerry, Joanne & Cody Hines
Just a quick note to say thanks again Dave for sharing your knowledge of understanding the golf swing a little bit more. I had a fantastic time. The facilities were excellent, accommodations were great, people were friendly and the course was more than challenging and I can tell you I will be relieved to get back to Whistle bear! I found golfing with two pros, yourself and Ben, extremely helpful.
- Wow what a great vacation for avid golfers! Outstanding golf course, service and hospitality. Meals and transportation were so stress free all we had to do was concentrate on our golf swings. Where else can you get one on one instruction for 5 days followed by “taking it to the course” every day with a CPGA pro. We learned so much and loved every minute! Thanks again to David Smallwood, and all the friendly staff at Old Corkscrew and The Karen Dove & Ron Falsetto
- Homewood Suites for making us feel like V.I.P.’s. We’ve already booked our return visit in April 2011.
- The importance of getting custom fit for golf equipment has never been more important. The Whistle Bear Golf Performance Center offers state of the art launch monitor systems and a wide array of the top manufacturer’s products to ensure my members are making educated, informed buying decisions. With extremely professional and knowledgeable staff, my members raved about their fitting experience. In 2008, over 30 members participated in the process with 100% committing to purchasing the recommended equipment. As a CPGA member for 20 years, I would recommend that anyone looking to advance their game in the future to invest in this fitting process and visit the Whistle Bear Performance Center. Bruce Rogerson Head Golf Professional Brantford Golf & Country Club
- Dave – just wanted to let you know that this year was the best I had for good rounds of golf. Was able to put many scores under 40 for nine holes and was usually around 85. I even managed to shoot a 75. The swing is really starting to work, hitting the ball farther with much more control. Really glad I got fitted for and bought new clubs. Not that I still don’t chunk the odd shot, but the good shots tend to be that much better. So thanks for your help. Ronald Hill
- After taking the spring package of three 1 hour lessons with Dave
Smallwood two years in a row, I have shot my best scores ever (78 the
first year and 76 the second), and won my “boys weekend away” 6 round
tournament. I can not wait until next spring!
The best part of the lessons was the way in which Dave very quickly
figured out how to best instruct me as an individual. I have kept my
video clips from the last two years on my computer and have occasionally
reviewed them – they are a great teaching aid and reminder through the
season. The video assessment really helped me to understand what caused
my slice, and how to stop it.
- Hi Dave,
Dave’s short game tricks have also given me 2-3 “go-to shots” that save
strokes around the greens.
All in all, my lessons have helped me to enjoy the game even more, and I
would strongly recommend them to any player.
Wanted to say Thanks for the lessons…I know there were only 2 lessons…but I’ve gone from breaking 100 only once last year with a score of to shooting in the 90’s almost consistently!!! Shot a 91 in Massey where I’m from…and an 84 at Merry Hill (which might not count…but still…I was amazed!!) Thanks again…and I already know what I’m asking for my birthday…so I’ll see you next year…(oh ya!! hit a 300+ yard drive on Sunday at Guelph Lakes…now the guys won’t let me play from the forward tee anymore) so let’s shot for breaking 90 next year…I gotta beat those men!!!
Well I can start out by saying I have nothing but praise and admiration for the team at the Performance Center.
If you check my stats from last year I was able to shave over 2 shots off my mens night scoring average. Out of 15 rounds I was a useless basturd twice and brought my HDCP for the league to a 1 yes thats a ONE by season end from a 4 at the start.
I contribute this to Greg Bullock first with my proper fitting of the correct driver for me. Not only am I more accurate by far but the added distance is incredible. I continually hit it past the members I play with and a lot of the younger guy’s are impressed, remember I’m 51 not 31.
Mike Skimson has helped both on and off the course with my swing as he has known me for years and knows my physical capablities.
I use the center a lot and practise what I learn from your team.
It goes to show you that Yes you can teach an old dog new tricks. This old dog has shown some of the young pups that age is not to be over looked or under estimated.
I can also say that the Performance Center is very cost effective, actually financially beneficial as with the greater accuracy comes a savings of at least $80 in lost balls. Thats money saved to be spent on the patio after the round.
Thanks to the Team at the center.
I look forward to continued success and the 2010 season.
The word that comes to mind is “professional” – all aspects, right from the administration/bookings through to the teaching. The equipment and facility is top notch. The results of my lessons were only limited by my ability to practice. My understanding of the golf swing is improved greatly – which allows me to work on things during practice and, more importantly understand what I have done incorrectly during a round, from shot to shot – my handicap didn’t change that much but it did improve as did my consistency which was one of my objectives. I would highly recommend the GPC facility and lessons. Many thanks to Dave and his staff!
I just took up golf last year, and on the advice of many, I took lessons. Not knowing where to go, again I referred back to friends who train at Whistlebear and highly recommended it. They were even specific about who to ask for, and when I was told that person retired, I simply requested someone who could teach a complete novice.
Enter Katie Erie, a patient, calm and motivating instructor. All that my schedule could accommodate was 4 half hour lessons, but they helped me tremendously. I can’t say enough about her encouragement and support, and I look forward to future development of my skills, when time permits. The positive vibe I got from all the staff there is always welcomed, since I was always intimidated about being a novice to the game.
My more experienced golf partners have all commented on how good my swing looks, and how I can consistently hit a straight ball, with so little experience.
Thanks for the instruction, and I look forward to improving more in the future.
The friendly staff at Whistlebear’s Golf Performance Centre has put the drive back into my game. I thought I knew what I was doing until Dave Smallwood took a video of my swing and actually showed me what I looked like. To really see your mechanics and do a comparison is amazing. I have dropped five strokes from my game and have a file I can refer to. I learned how to control my emotions and try to stay out of my own way. The Golf Performance Centre doesn’t just end when your lessons are through. The coaches are always there to answer any questions you have during the season. For me golf isn’t just a game, I hope to make it my career. As Gary Player said, “The harder you practice the luckier you get.”
Last spring I enrolled in a series of lessons with Mike Skimson; it was time to break the cycle of frustration.
I was totally encouraged by Mike’s instruction from Day One – he was okay that I wasn’t expecting to be a pro, just hoping to play a consistent, decent round of golf. I was totally impressed with the indoor/outdoor facility as well as the video analysis which made things real. But the best part was Mike’s patient approach, and ‘let’s take it one step at a time’ series of lessons. I intend to return next spring in order to give my game a continuing edge and improvement. Thanks GPC and thanks Mike.
Keith A. Martin
When I first came to you I thought I was playing some good golf and had a good swing.Ten swings into the first lesson and a view of the video showed me I had a lot of work to do.Well six lessons and a lot of help from you I now have shot a low score of 72 and have been in the low 70s for the last six weeks and have a handicap of 5. Dave can’t thank you enough and plan to come back for the spring tune up. Good luck with your junior team and the best to you in 2010.
After playing golf for 44 years with varying results, I finally admitted that I needed help if I was to get any better. This realization came following a year in which I played 60+ times after having played 10-20 times maximum for some 30 years. As I expected, my scoring got better because my touch around the greens improved considerably, but I knew that I did not really know my swing, even after reading articles, watching videos and practicing fairly regularly. The old adage “practice makes perfect” is flawed – perfect practice makes perfect, because if you practice doing the wrong thing, you can only become an expert at doing the wrong thing!
This is when the Golf Performance Center at Whistle Bear comes in – and specifically Mark Wilson. Mark approached me in late March after I had hit a bag of balls. He asked me how I was hitting them. The only truthful response was ‘same as always”. It didn’t take much convincing for me to have the 20 minute video analysis done – the results were eye-opening. Aside from a poor stance, the wrong grip, poor takeaway and an abbreviated follow through, everything was fine! Reading and watching tips was of some assistance, but I came to understand that I had been misinterpreting a lot of advice I had heard. “Feet shoulder width apart” sounds easy to figure out – wrong. “Bring the club up through your hands” seems equally apparent – again wrong. “Quiet hands” never did make any sense. I needed someone to interpret all of this and more. Mark was the man.
Over the course of a series of lessons, I came to truly understand what I needed to do for the first time. It was liberating and frustrating. Liberating because I would occasionally make great contact and see what could be. Frustrating because the process of undoing years of bad habits meant that the gratification of better shots and lower scores took some time and a whole lot of practice, review and refinement before I could see the results.
One anecdote tells it all. After telling my buddies about the lessons I was taking, they would have a good chuckle when I mishit a shot badly. “How much did that swing cost you?” was a common comment. After three or four months of work that has resulted in many more good swings, increased length of about 30 yards off the tee, and a steadily lowering handicap, my buddy asked me the other day the name of the pro I was taking lessons from. I smiled to myself, and realized the changes were evident to others.
No one can promise that you can play better – but with good instruction and lots of practice, I can honestly say that I am on the way to a better swing, and I have never enjoyed the game more or looked forward to my next practice session or game as much as I do now.
Do yourself a favour – if you love the game and are tired of being stuck in a rut, spend the time to make a visit to the Golf Performance Center, ask lots of questions and get hooked up with one of the great staff. It will be the best money you ever spent.
Thanks again to Mark and all of the kind and friendly staff at the GPC. You will continue to see a lot of me over the years!
“ My guys had a great time at the golf/hockey camp. The quality of coaching and teaching at Whistlebear and HHTD are elite. The Golf Performance Center at Whistlebear is world class. The on ice practices were excellent. Very well organized, very professional and a lot of fun. I would recommend this camp to any parent that has a child interested in both sports”
Florida Panthers Hockey Club (NHL)
“ I wish I could have attended a camp like this when I was young! My son could not wait to get to camp each day. He loves both sports so this was a great fit for us. The staff and facility at Whistlebear were excellent. The teaching professionals were great with the kids at the course. HHTD was very well organized and the on ice portion of the camp was fast paced and educational. The level of coaching on the ice is exceptional.”
Head Coach/General Manager
Kitchener Rangers Hockey Club
Dave I just wanted to pass on to you how much I have enjoyed the short game clinic you, Mike and Mark have put on for the past two years. Everyone knows how important the short game is to overall scoring and realistically it is this part of the game that is neglected and so hard to find time to practice. For me, your short game clinic is perfect because it forces me to set aside the necessary time to practice this aspect of the game and at the same time receive top notch instruction on the proper technique. In case anyone is wondering, this clinic is suitable to golfers at all skill levels. The confidence developed by a solid short game in my opinion flows up to the long game. My biggest improvement has come with my greenside bunker play and we do have more than our fair share of sand traps at W.B. I now have the confidence that I have a good chance to get up and down on most greenside bunker shots. It may not happen, but at least I have the confidence that it can. The instruction is excellent and there is more than sufficient one on one time during the session.
My name is Bill Smith and after my experience this year with Whistle Bear Golf Performance Centre I am a believer in the value that your team can deliver. So here is my story.
In the beginning of the golf season of 2009 my golf season started out pretty much where I had left off in 2008 playing as a bogie golfer with an 18-20 or so handicap. I don’t play enough to ask for much more from my game but I enjoyed the game so much that the score was not really the key piece for me. It was more about making some good swings, having some good holes, having some good rounds, but primarily just enjoying spending time with friends and playing the game. That all changed when something changed in my swing as I tried to generate more distance from my swing suddenly I was not hitting the ball at all. The game became a struggle and as I tried to work through it and use friends and fellow golfers to find what was wrong, things just went from bad to worse. The biggest thing was that all of the enjoyment had gone out of the game for me and I was at the brink of just giving the game up because it was just not fun anymore. The game instead of being a source of enjoyment had become a source of stress and frustration and it just was not worth it anymore.
I decided before giving it up I would sign up for a set of lessons with your team to see if anything could turn things around and just make the game enjoyable again. I took three lessons with Mike Skimson over a period of three weeks and with each lesson there was dramatic improvement, at last some hope. Mike spotted within the first 5 minutes what was going wrong with my swing, well at least the one big issue that was the source of my frustration. Now the issue was helping me overcome it and getting my swing to the proper plain and just making a good swing maybe for the first time in my life. Within a month of taking my first lesson I was back enjoying the game and my swing was much better than it has ever been. I have spent a lot of time on the range practicing the drills that Mike taught me and by having the basic understanding of what I am trying to achieve with the swing based on the information Mike implanted, it keeps me on track going forward. I can not say enough about Mike and the knowledge he shared. It not only improved my swing and provided me immediate benefits but by helping me to understand the swing and what needed to happen so that when I hit bumps in my game I understand what I need to do to get things back on track. I go to the practice range with a mission now and a understanding of what needs to happen to make a good swing. I know these lessons will continue to provide me benefits going forward for years to come.
Since the lessons I have played some of the best games of my life and as I write this I have probably played my last game of the season last Sunday. I had a great time joking and enjoying my friends and being on the golf course again. I can not wait for next year and may even have to plan a trip down south so I can play sooner as I just can’t wait. A lot of people mistakenly believe that lessons are for beginners just learning the game or for the best players trying to get to the next level. Those two reasons are very valid but as someone who had played the game for 10 years as a bogie golfer I would recommend everyone take a lesson now and then to help you play the game to the best of your own ability and to just keep enjoying it. For me it was exactly that, about enjoying the game again, it was about having fun and playing the game with a hope at the first tee that this could be the best game of my life. I can not stress enough to anyone before you get the level of frustration I did to give Whistle Bear a call and just see how quick they can turn things around for you. I have recommended the Performance Centre to many of my friends and I personally will be signing up for some more lessons in the spring to find out how to add that distance and to bring that handicap down even further.
Thank you for giving me back the game I just absolutely love to spend time at and making it enjoyable again. As a side note my wife is also a lot happier as well as I get out of the house more and don’t come home in a rotten mood after each game anymore.
16 handicap and loving it!